Hey everyone! Cody “Riot Codebear” Germain here, Product Lead for Competitive Gameplay.
Back in January,
we started a conversation
effectually improving ranked for 2020. Today we’d like to run through our big goals, how we’re planning to run across those goals, and share where we’re going with our next steps.
Over the past year we’ve been collecting your feedback to help the states build clear goals for a more competitive, transparent and rewarding ranked system in League of Legends.
Specifically, here are the areas you called out:
- Amend queue matchmaking quality without compromising queue time and availability.
- Better transparency around ranked and matchmaking systems.
- Better progression satisfaction and skill expression in our systems.
- Make rewards more than recognizable and relevant for fourth dimension spent in League.
- Players can play with, and detect, others they want to play with.
Nigh Hither: MATCHMAKING
We’re starting with the first goal, which covers matchmaking. We’ve all been in games where we feel like we’re at a disadvantage from the showtime. Nosotros want to take a look under the hood of our matchmaking system and make sure that the current system is
balancing player matches out the gate to the best of its ability.
Our first ii ranked matchmaking improvements are in testing and nearly ready for launch. Expect the post-obit features within the next few patches:
– As appear in Season Starting time, these updates aim to balance the number of autofilled players on each team.
– This update aims to residual the number of premades on each team.
Given the sensitivity of matchmaking quality and the bear on information technology has on players, we’ll be constantly tuning these features backside the scenes as necessary. Once they’ve been live for a while, we’ll circumvolve dorsum and allow you know how they performed—potentially alongside a status update on…
IN DEVELOPMENT: NEW AND AUTOFILLED Role player ADJUSTMENTS
In that location are a couple standout areas where our matchmaking service can be improved to more accurately assess skill level. We’ve begun exploring system improvements to better handle them.
New Account Seeding
– For players entering ranked for the first time, we remember nosotros tin can amend identify true skill level by looking more holistically at their playstyle.
Position Informed Autofill
– Though our current organization does non specifically measure out you confronting all potential positions, we practice sympathise that position proficiency has a significant touch on the game. We’re balancing the number of autofills on each team, but we would also like to
balance the positions autofilled
if we tin. We think in that location are modest adjustments that nosotros tin make without putting gamble on areas of the arrangement that are already working well.
THE SECOND Half OF 2020 AND PRESEASON
By the iv specific improvements to a higher place, we’re also deeply investigating opportunities to gear up some more complex pain points. The products of those investigations will exist coming later in the twelvemonth (annihilation big will wait for preseason), but expect updates as we get. Hither’s where nosotros’re working:
Game Ruining Beliefs
– Nosotros’re attempting to develop ameliorate ways of dealing with disruptive beliefs. Examples include better detection and penalisation for behaviors like intentionally feeding, AFKing, win trading, and griefing, in improver to giving more frequent feedback when we’ve taken activity on unsportsmanlike beliefs you reported.
Rank and Matchmaking Rating (MMR) Transparency
– The hidden relation betwixt player’south visible ranks and matchmaking rating has been causing confusion and frustration e’er since the tier organization launched years agone. We’d similar to provide more clarity to players around their rank and updates to where we can set the disconnect in meaningful means.
– We know that likewise many promos take become a source of frustration. Nosotros’re seriously examining the current promotion arrangement and will be making changes to shift the office information technology plays in our competitive ecosystem.
Flex Queue and System
– Hovering somewhere betwixt a social competitive queue for groups and a quasi-competitive queue for those looking to try out some new things, it’s unclear exactly what Flex is supposed to be best at. Nosotros’re taking an immediate wait at loosening upwardly restrictions for group formation to make it easier to play with your friends, and how we tin can tie Flex to the greater competitive ecosystem.
WHAT SHOULD You lot Await NEXT?
The Competitive Gameplay team is dedicated to making League the nearly rewarding and competitive experience out at that place and we’ve got a lot of work ahead of united states of america. As we practice, please keep the feedback and criticisms coming. Many of the changes nosotros’re working on are frankly overdue, and we want to make up for lost time past being every bit circumspect and responsive as possible equally our updates roll out through the year.
You’ll be hearing from united states of america again in a few weeks once we’ve got results to report for autofill and premade rest. See you on the Rift!